These are tools, websites, and resources I’ve personally used and feel good about recommending. I’ll write about each section soon!
Many people ask if it is possible to sell on Etsy and on your own website. Not only is this allowed, but I’d also encourage any craft business to plan to do this if they aren’t already. You could even skip Etsy and get to starting a craft business on your own. To have a website, you must have both a domain URL and hosting purchased. Here are my top recommendations for hosting providers for selling handmade items online. Read more of my in-depth reviews of each option listed right here!
- SSLS (If you’re web-savvy and can install an SSL yourself)
- WP Engine – Get 3 months free on annual plans
There’s a lot of tools, apps, and websites out there that may be better. These are the ones that have impacted me, or I continue to use them. Also, when I say website developer, I mainly mean the usual frontend or WordPress types. You only need to look at job boards to see “web developer” can mean different things to people, so I want to clarify here. You can read about each site listed here in-depth here.
- Plural Sight
- Brad Hussey’s Udemy Courses
- Sublime Text
- Google Analytics Academy
- CSS Tricks
- Font Awesome
- Google Pagespeed Insights
WordPress Plugins & Themes
I’ve used a lot of plugins in my career as a website developer and small business owner. My toolkit has evolved over the years as I grew more knowledgeable. Right now, here are my essential WordPress plugins that most websites would benefit from installing. You can read why these are my favorite plugins to use here.
- Elegant Themes
- UpdraftPlus (For automatic backups)
- Wordfence (Security app)
- Email Address Encoder
- Litespeed Cache
- Show Current Template (If you’re doing any theme development)
- Tasty Pins
Marketing & SEO
- CreativeLive: Online Creative Classes Taught by Top Experts!
- Ads of the World
- Moz Blog (And their tools)
Free Stock Photos and Tools
Social Media Apps and Tools
Packaging, Shipping and Printing
- Minted (For business cards, promotional cards)
- Moo (For business cards, stickers, etc)
- Printful (Print on demand)
Random Tools I Use Sometimes
- Bitly Link Shortener
- Encode Email Address (Helps prevent spam)
- Color Snapper 2 (I use this A LOT to get the exact hex codes that are on my screen. It’s been so useful)
- Autonomous ErgoChair 2 (Best work chairs I’ve ever used!)