Web HostingMany people ask if it is possible to sell on Etsy and on your own website. Not only is this allowed, but I’d also encourage any craft business to plan to do this if they aren’t already. You could even skip Etsy and get to starting a craft business on your own. To have a website, you must have both a domain URL and hosting purchased. Here are my top recommendations for hosting providers for selling handmade items online. Read more of my in-depth reviews of each option listed right here!
- GreenGeeks: fantastic customer service, eco-friendly, and competitive pricing. you can read my review here!
- SSLS (If you're web-savvy and can install an SSL yourself. BTW, you don't need this if you go with Shopify or WPEngine.)
- WP Engine WooCommerce solutions
Wordpress Plugins & ThemesI've used a lot of plugins in my career as a website developer and small business owner. My toolkit has evolved over the years as I grew more knowledgeable. Right now, here are my essential WordPress plugins that most websites would benefit from installing. You can read why these are my favorite plugins to use here.
- Envato (themes, plugins, etc)
- RankMath or Yoast SEO + Redirect
- UpdraftPlus (For automatic backups)
- Wordfence (Security app)
- Smush (automatic image optimization)
- TinyPng.com (free image optimization)
- Litespeed Cache (or whatever caching plugin that works for you)
- Show Current Template (If you're doing any theme development)
- Tasty Pins (for Pinterest marketing)
Email MarketingI swear I'll write an article about these but, until then, know that I've used all these and would recommend them. They all have their pros/cons so find what works for you!
- Flodesk: most expensive and my favorite I've ever used
- Klaviyo: what most ecommerce brands use, with good reason
- Mailchimp: the usual go-to, what I'm begrudgingly using lately
- Sendsy: one-time payment email marketing for the web diyers. someone on fiverr can set this up for you too but you do need a website. cheapest option listed
Creativity & Design
- Creative Market: fonts, graphics, mockups, and more.
- Skillshare: Not sure if you've heard of it
- Domestika: Creative craft and art tutorials. I love this site!
- CreativeLive: Online Creative Classes
- Design Hacks: Fantastic email newsletter about UI design
Marketing & SEO
- Ads of the World
- Moz Blog: a top SEO blog
- Neil Patel & Ubersuggest: My affordable go-to tool for SEO
- Diggity Marketing: great blog and email list
- Screaming Frog: SEO crawler and tool
- Customer Camp: great email list about marketing psychology
- Hubspot Academy: fantastic resource and certificates
Free Stock Photos, Tools, and Templates
Social Media Apps and Tools
- Tailwind: the BEST Pinterest app to use imo
- Later App
- Ascent Viral: Instagram Ebook
- Adobe Lightroom Mobile App
Packaging, Shipping, and Printing
Random Tools I Use Sometimes
- HTML Tidy: Super easy way to clean up html or format things for web
- Pixel Snap: measure things on your screen
- Meeting Bar
- Color Snapper 2: I use this A LOT to get the exact hex codes that are on my screen. It's been so useful.
- PomoFocus: For those familiar with the Pomodoro method
- Timing app: A total game changer for tracking time!
More of a reader?Check out my recommended books too.
etsy pricing calculator get empowered in how you price your etsy products
one day branding a free step-by-step guide
relationship marketing a mini-guide
swot worksheets swot analysis pdfs
email mini course how to beat the hard truths of business
my favorite things web apps, tools, and such I use
spotify playlist hint: its got a lot of kpop
books i love recommended reading